Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Monday, May 20, 2019

Stop- suspend what you are doing

Just last week, I posted about being able to shape your instance HERE. I alluded there was more to come. Well this week, my instance had another change.  Please note, I'm referring to OAC  not OAC-Classic (Customer Managed).
 They are calling it START and STOP.  I'll call it Suspend and Un-Suspend.

 

Why do I call it something different than what Oracle calls it?  Because it is my understanding that it really does not actually stop or stat an instance. Instead, it turns off or on access to the instance. This has a couple of implications. 
1. If you really need to get your instance restarted because of a problem, This won't do it. You will still have to open an SR for it to happen 
2. When you "Stop" your instance, I have been told the billing does go to $0 but to a percentage of your billing rate. I've heard both 10% and 15% but have not been able to verify what the real amount is. 
3. Stop and start are instantaneous.  If you STOP (Suspend) your intance, it immediately turns off access. 

As I get more info I'll most likely update the post with the real percentage. Until then, this gives you an idea of what is happening. 


No comments: