Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Thursday, April 4, 2019

do you want to be a star Data Star?

Today, I'm going to talk about data load rules in OAC. In Particular, how to create a data column in a data load rule.  How you do this in OAC is different from On-Prem.
 
First a bit of background.  If you have a file that has all of the dimensions designated followed by a single data column like the below tab delimited file (Note, this file is not in optimal loading format. It is structured this way so you can see a representative set of data columns).




In the on-prem rule editor, you would select the column and click a little check box to say it is a data column. It is different in OAC. 
 
So how do we do it in OAC?

When you first open/create a data load in OAC, you are asked for a number of things
 


First the name of the rule.I called mine Data_column_load  (Yeah up to 30 characters for the name)
Then something new. Data Dimension. 
 
If you select a dimension in the drop down, in the data load , you will be able to select members from that dimension to be column values. If you want to have a data column, don't select anything in the drop down. You will see why later.
Then select you data file. I will use the file I showed earlier. 

When I click Proceed, I get to the editor. Note, I like the new editor a lot. It is much easier than 
on-prem as I can select the columns without having to go somewhere else.

What I see it
 
Note, the last column has *Data* in it. If I select that it sets the column to be a data column
IMPORTANT NOTE: IN PATCHES .115 AND BEFORE THERE IS A BUG. DO NOT CLICK ON THE VALIDATE BUTTON OR THE LOAD RULE WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.  
Just save and close the load rule. This issue will be fixed in the next release. 

And there you have it, you can be a Star Data Star yourself
 

No comments: