Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Oracle Open World Day 2

Tuesday at Open world was a blur. I don’t know if it was because I was so tired from the prior two days or worried about my presentation. I present all the time, why do I still get nervous?

I was in and out of sessions during the day and have additional information on patches. It turns out the 11.1.1.4 (11.1.1.3 ps1?) will not be out till later next year. I think they are trying to get people to upgrade to 11.1.2.

My session was one I have done before “Top 10 optimization hints to give you 99% improvement”. It was in the Develop track sessions and had nothing in it that said Hyperion. So it was difficult for people to find. Because of that I had a small group. It got smaller when I actually started talking about what I was going to talk about. The people who did stay got some good information and I had some good conversations after the session. It is amazing how much consulting I give away for free at these sessions.   I had a client Stephanie Shrake from Care first who had done a great job with Edward Roske on a presentation “What is Essbase and why do I care” in the session. I’m not sure if she was there for moral support or to see if I actually knew anything. but it was nice to have her listen in. 

Between sessions, I spent time meeting customers and potential customers at the interRel booth.

The evening was spent at events and meeting with people. I read that there are over 41,000 people at the conference and it infuses over $100M into the local economy. The way vendors were giving parties and wooing clients I can believe it.

2 comments:

srx said...

"It turns out the 11.1.1.4 (11.1.1.3 ps1?) will not be out till later next year. I think they are trying to get people to upgrade to 11.1.2."

Hoping that your wrong on this one!

GlennS said...

I thought the same thing. I'm only reporting what was said. I hope they expedite it as well