Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Thursday, February 16, 2023

New options in Essbase 21c LcmExport command

 The other day I was showing a client the LcmExport utility and noticed there are a few new options in it.  (I saw it in 21.4, I'm not sure if it is there in 21.3. 

I looked at the embedded help on the options and noticed there was nothing there to tell me what these new options did. I reached out to my friends at Oracle Development and they enlightened me on what the options do.

First, what does the new command look like? I've highlighted in RED what the new options are

EssbaseLCM.bat export -server essbasehost:port -user username -password password -application appname -zipfile zipfilename [-nodata] [-include-server-level] [-converttoutf8] [-forceutf8] [-generateartifactlist] [-exportepmroles] [-allApp] [-exportdata] [-cube] [-filetype] [-partitions] [-filters]


-AllApp - This option exports all of the applications on a server to a single zip file. I didn't know it, but the LCMImport can handle multiple applications at once. To use this option, you have to have access to all of the applications on the server. Note, this is used instead of -application  in the command. 

 -cube - This allows you to just export a single database within an application. It can come in handy to just migrate one DB

-exportdata - This option only exports the data from the cube (I gues this is the zame as a level-0 export. 

-filetype - Allows you to export specific file types:

  •  OTL (outline) 
  • TXT (text)
  •  RUL (rule)
  •  CSC (calc script)
  •  DTR (drill through report definition),
  •  Excel (only .xls files are exported. No .xlsx files are exported)

Note, apparently you can only do one file type at a time and the last one wins.  I had done 

-filetype otl -filetype rul 

and only the rules files were exported. 

-exportpartitions - will just export the partition definition

-filters - only exports the filter definitions .

 I can see where these new options could be handy during a migration. Initially I could export everything and make changes and test and as we get close to production, remigrate certain artifacts like the updated outline from production.  

 

 

No comments: