Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Exalytics X5-4 Fast and Furious

I love going to KScope because I learn about new features and products. This event was no different. In the Sunday symposiums with Oracle there was a discussion on the new Exalytics X5-4. It was only Sept last year at Open World when the X4-4  was announced . Edward Roske talks about it in his Blog. It was a big deal then. With the introduction of the X5-4 only 9 months later it becomes even bigger, better and “Badder”. With the X5-4 we go to a max of 72 cores, up from 60 and more memory. In addition to more cores, the X5-4 supports a new NvMe High bandwidth flash technology that improves throughput by 2.5 times. I won’t bore you with the details if you want to read about them , here are the specs

To me the most remarkable thing about this is you get more and the price has not increased. All of the way back to the X3-4 the price has remained the same. With a list price of $175K it is what I consider cheap.

As John Booth mentions in his Blog, you can get this as an X5-2 configuration as well offering additional flexibility. Note I had a correction from John. The X5-2 was more a wish from him than a reality. While you could create a X5-2 using sub-capacity licensing, you are still paying for the physical cores (Thanks Steve Libermensch for that clarification)

For us in EPM it keeps getting better and better.

No comments: